Friday, January 1, 2010

10 Resolutions I will not be Making for 2010

Like a lot of people, I make resolutions at New Years for what I’d like to accomplish in the year ahead. But, this year, along with my list of To-Do’s (still to come), I’ve put together a list of frequent former resolutions that I will NOT be aiming for this year.

1. Long Distance Travel – In the last few years I’ve done a lot of travelling all over the U.S. but this year I’m going to give myself a break from the expense and headache of travel. When I have time free and am feeling wanderlust, I plan to check out cities right here in New England, or close enough for a day trip.

2. Writing Programs / Classes – Grub Street and The Artists Way have been great for me in the last few years, but in 2010 I’m just going to concentrate on writing on my own. There comes a point when working in a group is more of a distraction than an aid.

3. Getting Published – This one has been on my list, even if it didn’t get formally written down, every year as long as I’ve been making resolutions. This year I’m not going to feel guilty about it, though. I’m working on a novel this year and that’s it. No short fiction, no freelance work, just a book draft and no guilt.

4. Blogging – There are just too many other priorities I place above this blog. When I have time and something interesting to post I will, but it’s just a recipe for failure to pretend I’m going to make any sacrifices to post here on a regular basis. Sorry. (I’ll still read my friends’ blogs though)

5. Getting a New Job – Ideally next week my dream position at my company would open up and I’d jump on it, but if that doesn’t happen I’m not going to give myself any grief. I have a good job that I do well and these days that’s pretty lucky. Someday the next opportunity will appear, but until then I’m not going to worry myself out of a good position, just to take something I don’t like as much.

6. Saving X amount of money – This year I’m not going to set an amount of money I want to save up. In prior years I’ve set a specific goal, and then saving just starts to feel like another expense. Instead, this year I plan to cut back on expenses and change my spending habits. I already know where the waste in my budget is – food and travel. If I cut back on those my savings will increase.

7. Losing X pounds – Instead I plan to grow 2 inches. (just kidding) Weight loss resolutions never work for me, so I’m not going to bother this year. I’m in a healthy weight range and I feel good. If I lose some weight, great, if I don’t, I’m not going to feel bad about that.

8. Remembering birthdays – This one almost did go on my resolutions list again. I had a big plan for buying a bunch of birthday cards now, addressing them all, and just mailing them out when the birthdays approach but you know what? Screw it. I’m lousy at remembering birthdays and I’m just going to accept that. I don’t want to drop $100 on cards I’ll probably forget to mail anyway.

9. Large purchase – This year I will not buy a car, pet, or house. Maybe next year.

10. Finish a first draft of a novel – because I did that last year. Some resolutions do come true!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Kayleigh said...

Thank you very much!