Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Review: Starbucks Breakfast sandwich

Just because I'm taking a break from coffee, doesn't mean I'm taking a break from Starbucks. I pass one on my way to work everyday, and it's the most convenient place for me to grab breakfast when I haven't had time to make anything for myself. Even though they're often characterized as overpriced, in the financial district there aren't many alternatives that are cheaper, and the Starbucks option usually has fewer additives. I'm a big fan of Starbucks for a number of reasons, but that's the subject for another post.

Usually, I get the "perfect oatmeal" with nuts. It's made from a sugar free instant oatmeal mix, and the containers Starbucks uses do a good job of steaping the oatmeal, without leaving it too runny or too dry. I consider this a so-so breakfast for healthy eating. It doesn't have sugar and does contain protein and fiber, but instant oatmeal is more processed than whole oats, and I don't feel as full as I long as I would with other breakfasts.

This morning, knowing I'd have a lot to get done at work, I wanted more protein. I decided to try one of the new breakfast sandwiches. They smell terrible, I have to admit, but I did like the sandwich overall. I had egg and turkey bacon on english muffin (the english muffin seemed to be whole grain, but I havent' been able to verify). It was head and shoulders above Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches, in taste, value and nutrition. I wouldn't say it's better than home made eggs and bacon, but in a pinch I would absolutely get this again.

No comments: